Questions, banter and general discussion.
Looking at the times the pro's have set on the Bologna TT versus those of the Zwift community there are some things to note:
- Times on the 6km flat section of the pro's are faster than those of the Zwifters, but some come very close. Top pro intermediate times were just under 7 minutes, the fastest Zwifters are just a few seconds slower. I think that Zwifters faster than, say, 7.20 are suspect, especially riders who were not (yet) approved by ZADA.
- Climbing times of some Zwifters are even faster than the fastest pro's. Ciccone and Roglic were the fastes, with recorded times of 6.03 and 6.06, the other top pro's around 6.25. I wonder if the course is an exact replica? If so, Zwift now has a lot of useful data to improve their calculations. And hopefully also data to better root out cheaters.
I know that Zwift doesn't take into account wind or braking for corners, but from what I've seen from the IRL footage of the climb, is that those should have had very little effect on the climbing times of the pro's.
- Total times on the TT in Zwift are slower than IRL
The speed, with which you ride in Zwift, is higher than IRL. Even on days with no wind outside, I cannot, in an aerodynamic position, obtain the speed that I would have in Zwift at the same watt/power.
I live in Bologna, tried the climb quite a few times. My feeling is that the times you can do on the climb on Zwift are a bit better than IRL.

There is a part before the two sharp turns that is not that steep IRL, while the very steep part..seems steeper IRL.

I have a PR of 7'22 @380w (69kg last year) on the real climb, while on Zwift I did 7'30" @330w (67kg), so my guess is that there is about a 20sec discrepancy. Something like that.
Not decreasing speed at the first corner makes quite a difference, you jump straight into a 15% gradient at 40kph..
The flat part seems OK to me though.

Overall, it's pretty close. The pros posted their data, at around 6w/kg they are in the 15' ballpark, the top ones at around 13'30"/14' seem to be around 6.4/6.7 w/kg.
Even if it's not an exact replica of real life, I think it's great to be able to measure yourself against the pros. With some intense training I'd get to the top before the pros could finish their second cup of coffee.
Stu_P wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm
Even if it's not an exact replica of real life, I think it's great to be able to measure yourself against the pros. With some intense training I'd get to the top before the pros could finish their second cup of coffee.
i dont understand what you are saying; how can you compare 2 different things; you even admitted that,
Klaus Overgaard wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:33 am
The speed, with which you ride in Zwift, is higher than IRL. Even on days with no wind outside, I cannot, in an aerodynamic position, obtain the speed that I would have in Zwift at the same watt/power.
You need to work on your TT position, the TT bikes on Zwift are miles worse than the drag I can acheive IRL