Questions, banter and general discussion.
110 posts
BikeLifeTT wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm
This makes alot of sense now...
This height thing is extremely disappointing lol
It takes alot more than knowing height to determine CdA
Zwift apparently knows my flexibility, bike positioning and whether I climb in saddle or off saddle (yes that matters IRL) 👎

Gimme some damn crosswinds or some mechanics that help us lose these tiny guys on the flat then, drafting is so OP on the flat.
It appears everything is skewed to benefiting small man performance.
I agree that height is a crude measure but good to Zwift for seeking to improve accuracy. As for the other comments in this post i think it's the opposite. Zwift algorithms are tipped to strongly in favour of heavier higher watt producers rather than w/kg. Even on a climb these big riders don't seem to get dropped like you would expect in real life.

I rarely see any good riders on the real roads who are 90+ KG but on Zwift there's a few.
Matt whitwell wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:41 pm
I rarely see any good riders on the real roads who are 90+ KG but on Zwift there's a few.
On Zwift you don't have to go out in public in skin-tight lycra. It's a tough world out there for the bigger gentleman/lady.
Cat D racer. 6'8" 290 lbs. This is what he should look like proportion wise(minus pads of course). "big heavy cyclist also trying to run a little" on strava. 87 races, 40 podiums. his strava avatar is not close. just sayin'
Matt whitwell wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:41 pm
BikeLifeTT wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm
This makes alot of sense now...
This height thing is extremely disappointing lol
It takes alot more than knowing height to determine CdA
Zwift apparently knows my flexibility, bike positioning and whether I climb in saddle or off saddle (yes that matters IRL) 👎

Gimme some damn crosswinds or some mechanics that help us lose these tiny guys on the flat then, drafting is so OP on the flat.
It appears everything is skewed to benefiting small man performance.
I agree that height is a crude measure but good to Zwift for seeking to improve accuracy. As for the other comments in this post i think it's the opposite. Zwift algorithms are tipped to strongly in favour of heavier higher watt producers rather than w/kg. Even on a climb these big riders don't seem to get dropped like you would expect in real life.

This is so true with my own experience. I need to ride the balls out of my pants just to get a few seconds, but then shortly after the downhill starts I am overtaken and droppend behind. Just insane!

Furthermore, I assume there is something really wrong in Zwift if it comes to calculating speed in groups. It seems that groups just go faster and faster due to the draft effect, yet the produced wattage of the front riders is far below the needed speed. It is completely different than IRL in two ways: (1) a group will never go faster than the wattage produced by the front rider (2) while in draft your resistance will drop dramatically while in Zwift it stays the same.
Especially (2) will cause the group going faster and faster with riders overtaken eachother.

Also all the mentioned tests don't really matter since it is in a static approach, while a race is quite dynamic. And all is based on fictive values rather than real values. A shorter rider will produce in general far less watts than a longer rider, although there will be always exceptions in real good riders. You can not use an expectional rider to prove something for in general.
I did the Long Island Cranx Race B race yesterday. I would have finished 3rd if not for this cheating height doper. He changed his height from 180 to 152. Can you please has him DQ'd?

profile.php?z=461128
BoBear09 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:11 pm
I did the Long Island Cranx Race B race yesterday. I would have finished 3rd if not for this cheating height doper. He changed his height from 180 to 152. Can you please has him DQ'd?

profile.php?z=461128
He's suspended.
Thanks Sticky much appreciated
Fozzzer wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:40 am
I’m 190cm, my bars are nearly 200mm lower than my saddle.

I’ve put my height at 190cm.

In real life I can put my palms flat on the floor, but I’m slowed by the Zwift algorithm.

Any tips on how I should beat beat people who are midgets but ride upright?
Word's..👍 I like to see that windtunell test that show a tall rider in aero position has more drag than a short one...
Brage Skogstad wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 pm
Fozzzer wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:40 am
I’m 190cm, my bars are nearly 200mm lower than my saddle.

I’ve put my height at 190cm.

In real life I can put my palms flat on the floor, but I’m slowed by the Zwift algorithm.

Any tips on how I should beat beat people who are midgets but ride upright?
Word's..👍 I like to see that windtunell test that show a tall rider in aero position has more drag than a short one...
I’m heavy too, I’m not complaining about anything Zwift does ever it’s great. In real life I’m a good rider too, happy with my lot. Also I’m yet to see anyone add 5 or 10kg on Zwift to make themselves faster :lol:

It’s a shame anyone cheats in any part of our sport, virtual or on the roads. Surely you should never need to change your height unless you guessed when you first signed up, not knowing it made a difference. I was honest, but not because I knew I had to be!
Carl no one was saying that adding weight makes you faster, what is true that it is less of a penalty than you would expect. It's not so much of a gripe on flat courses but when riding the hill sections lighter riders should have a massive advantage. This is why all the time gains in big tours are made by little guys on climbing stages.