Questions, banter and general discussion.
The zwift route is shorter. There is no wind. You can ride at 0 resistance all the way up, maintaining speed where it would be lost in gear changes outdoors. The real world records were done after many days racing, at end of a long day in saddle. You don't need to save energy to respond to an attack. Multiple attempts replicated in identical conditions make it possible to judge maximum effort.

All that said he hasn't been verified yet so time does not stand on ZP.
mbecks2 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 am
There’s still very little doubt they’re cheating in some way though I find those efforts hard to believe.
https://www.zwiftpower.com/segments.php?id=11

Top 3 in list:-
Messi; an ex UCI Pro of unquestionable pedigree.
West; Zwift Academy Semi Finalist
Vaeng; A National Cyclocross Champion and Zwift Norwegian National Champion.

Must be cheating though yes?
The reality is that like everything in life people can and will cheat from time to time. All you can do is own your actions and trust that enough of the rest of us do the same.

There’s already some controls in place and repeat offenders do eventually get caught.

My view is that anyone cheating rarely hangs around for long, they’ll get the quick gratification of the record or ranking and then get bored and move on. Genuine folk will contribute over a longer term and their credibility will be obvious.
What makes someone like him or anyone else that does well on Zwift not on the same level as “Froome” is that they’re not repeating it day after day at the same intensity. Anyone (to some extent) can train for a set effort, but repeating it for a 3 week long tour is a totally different game.

But you would know this though? Right?.... maybe I’m being naive.
It is just virtual and I really don't bother if someone is fair or not. But I do bother about some "magic" within Zwift when it is about calculating speed. It seems to me that higher weight and higher raw wattage both give unrealistic advantages compared to the real thing.
Another way of looking at this (which takes Zwift physics/simulation out of the equation) is just to consider power.
According to: https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=125848, Sean Vintin went up Alpe Du Zwift in 35:21 @384w, 5.7wkg
According to his power curve, for the whole event, he averaged 5.3 w/kg for 00:55:30

If you believe what you read here: https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2 ... ower-curve,
then top International male PROs (like Froome I guess) have an FTP of over 6 W/Kg.
You're assuming that the Zwift physics engine is a completely accurate model of watts in : speed out. I'm sure it's pretty bloody good but come on, it's a computer simulation. No-one (not even Sean) would think that he'd be able to do the exact same time up the real thing. People have already mentioned all the reasons why this would be.
I've seen Sean's IRL results and numbers and yes, holding those numbers is something he is absolutely capable of doing.

But I think that you've already made up your mind that everyone with a fast time is a cheater.