Questions, banter and general discussion.
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions. Last night I did the 3R Innsbruckring 60km flat race. 168 people were in this race according to Zwift, 28 I think were in the A Category of which I was one. I managed to finish 8th overall / 7th A which for me being just over 4w/kg was a good result. When I visited the results later on to my dismay I have not seen any improvement in my ranking as I am now 5th A out of only 8 finishers. Of the 168 that started only 80 were registered on ZP which is a different matter but over half the field that actually started the race quit the event. I was wondering:

1) Are ranking points generated with the number of ZP registered riders that start the race taken into account or are they generated based on only the finishers?
2) Is there any way that quitters could be punished for quitting by having points added maybe? or alternately some additional incentive not to quit?

Obviously if people have a technical issue that's a different problem and no penalty should be applied but it seems to be a regular occurrence that so many people quit and it kind of spoils it for everyone else that put the effort in to finish the event.

Cheers and thanks for all you guys do, it's invaluable work.
FAQs here- https://www.zwiftpower.com/rankings.php

It only takes account of finishers.

N.B. In mass start events everyone is assessed against all other finishers, so there is no longer a requirement for there to be 5 finishers in Cat A.
Ok, cheers for that. But shouldn't the starters be taken into account? As all of the quitters have been beaten by all of the finishers? Is there anything at all in the pipeline to try and encourage more people to finish? Thanks again.
diamondhawk wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:56 am
Ok, cheers for that. But shouldn't the starters be taken into account? As all of the quitters have been beaten by all of the finishers? Is there anything at all in the pipeline to try and encourage more people to finish? Thanks again.
There are no plans to change the current ranking system.
I share your frustration James, but it's difficult to find a solution. As others have suggested, maybe use the in-game messaging to encourage people to opt-in to ZwiftPower - at least then all of the finishers should be in the results on here.
Hi James I agree with you 100% anyone who completes the first KM of any race should be considered a finisher and their position recorded accordingly. Eg the further you ride in the race the higher you finish like a motor race with a retirement.

Sadly as this is a new system people are finding the holes in it while it develops. And I’m pretty sure this is ranking protection happening. It weakens the field so others can’t get the benefit of the points.
Sticky, does "N.B. In mass start events everyone is assessed against all other finishers, so there is no longer a requirement for there to be 5 finishers in Cat A" apply to all Cats or only A?

That would be great if it were all Cats. I always find it hard to race with at least 5 on weekday nights PST in D. If I knew I would get a race rank no matter what it makes it even more worth it to try and catch one extra C racer... and it will add to the number of races that I would be willing to enter.
And what does N.B. stand for?
ucdengboss wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:09 am
And what does N.B. stand for?
N.B. An abbreviation for the Latin phrase nota bene , meaning “note well.” It is used to emphasize an important point.
ucdengboss wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:08 am
Sticky, does "N.B. In mass start events everyone is assessed against all other finishers, so there is no longer a requirement for there to be 5 finishers in Cat A" apply to all Cats or only A?

That would be great if it were all Cats. I always find it hard to race with at least 5 on weekday nights PST in D. If I knew I would get a race rank no matter what it makes it even more worth it to try and catch one extra C racer... and it will add to the number of races that I would be willing to enter.
Applies to all Cats in mass start events. Everyone gets assessed against all others in the group.