Questions, banter and general discussion.
There's a bit of a glitch in the category system....

If a rider completes lots of group rides at low power numbers and then infrequent races in top category it results in a disproportionate ranking within a particular category.

By way of example I present
https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=326091

This rider is current top of C category by almost 100 ranking points.

This is because few races completed so takes average of best 5 over 90 days. In November the rider completed some strong A category races resulting in high rank finishes. But within last 30 days lots of low power group rides which has placed the rider in C category.

I am not suggesting any foul play, and system has been applied as presented but the outcome is weird.

My suggestion is that categories should only be measured in RACE results this would then align the different aspects of the systems.

Thoughts?
Matt whitwell wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 pm
There's a bit of a glitch in the category system....

If a rider completes lots of group rides at low power numbers and then infrequent races in top category it results in a disproportionate ranking within a particular category.

By way of example I present
https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=326091

This rider is current top of C category by almost 100 ranking points.

This is because few races completed so takes average of best 5 over 90 days. In November the rider completed some strong A category races resulting in high rank finishes. But within last 30 days lots of low power group rides which has placed the rider in C category.

I am not suggesting any foul play, and system has been applied as presented but the outcome is weird.

My suggestion is that categories should only be measured in RACE results this would then align the different aspects of the systems.

Thoughts?
Only races count for categorisation and it's the average of the best 3 races in 30 day window if 5 races have been completed; otherwise the lookback is over 90 days.

However, even accounting for that, this fella's categorisation appears to be wrong so I'll investigate further.

Thanks for highlighting.
Did you spot anything sticky?
Matt whitwell wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 pm
Did you spot anything sticky?
Raw watts are borderline for cat upgrade. Still looks off to me but waiting a few days for when a few events fall out of the 30 day window. Once that happens I expect him to miss B completely and go straight to A :-)
Thanks for looking into it. Still wondering if this highlights a flaw in the logic for categories somewhere. You shouldn’t have queries about spanning two categories within such a short space of time.
Matt whitwell wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:19 pm
Thanks for looking into it. Still wondering if this highlights a flaw in the logic for categories somewhere. You shouldn’t have queries about spanning two categories within such a short space of time.
I think the categories work reasonably well and this one is an outlier. I'm fairly sure this is a bug but James is busy on critical updates so I won't ask him to take another look.

I was going to manually upgrade him but as I said I want to see how it us after 1 or 2 30 day events drop off.
Ok
Check his profile now!